Sunday, December 26, 2010

Gluttony

I'm sitting at my desk right now, typing away on my computer while eating a Cadbury Caramilk bar; a much missed Canadian treat of which Melissa ordered me a case as part of my Christmas present. Less than an hour ago, we arose from the table at my in-laws after our third turkey dinner complete with all the fixin's. I was so stuffed I swore up and down that no more food would pass my lips until at least tomorrow noon. So much for that.

When I look back on my childhood, one of the things that amazes me is the plentitude of food that graced our kitchen and pantry at all times of the year. It's a wonder all of us didn't founder on all that food !

Don't get me wrong, Melissa and I set a generous table, and if we know you're coming we'll make sure there is plenty in the larder. If you get up from my table and you're not full, I promise it'll be your fault, not mine. But how many households could accomodate several extra with no notice at virtually any meal like we could do back then ? I know we sure couldn't.

I hope Christmas was a good one for all of you. We're getting ready to feast again to mark the New Year. All I can say right now is ugh, and when you get a minute could you pass the chips ? :)

No comments: