Monday, October 25, 2010

Rain !

After nearly two months with no real rainfall, last night the spigot finally got turned on and we accumulated a hair over three inches of rain. It's too late for the warm season grasses, and the trees are pretty well fried for the year too, but I noticed a whole bunch of green cool season grass shoots all over every pasture this morning. It won't take very long for it to grow if it keeps raining ! Our 4 inch soil temperatures are running in the low to mid 70's; perfect for germinating grass seed ! I think the best part is that more rain is predicted the next couple of days !

I was going to spend today applying and harrowing in manure, but it's too wet to do that and I will happily find another task if it means MORE RAIN !

In other news....

Have you ever thought to yourself, "Boy, it'd sure be nice to just lay down for a day or two and let everything sort itself out."

Well, I can now tell you from experience that it isn't nearly as much fun as it might at first appear. Somehow, I managed to twang my back out of alignment on Saturday morning and over the course of working through the day everything got tighter and tighter to where I could hardly move. Turns out the only halfway comfortable position I could find was flat on my back, so that's how I stayed from Saturday afternoon until this morning. After a little medical aid and chiropractic stuff, I'm happy to report I can move again, but I don't think I'm going to be running any marathons or lifting anything extraordinarily heavy the next couple of days.

Hope everyone has a great Monday !

5 comments:

SmartAlex said...

Ouch. Glad you can move again. You know it's not going to be a good day when you get up out of bed, and have to sit right back down.

Anonymous said...

I have back trouble from time to time, so my deepest sympathies - may you make a full recovery ASAP.

Anonymous said...

My sympathies as well. My back is a mess but I still keep 33 horse's hooves trimmed in addition to all the other stuff they need. I was doing pretty good this year until a couple of weeks ago my son and I found a deal on railroad ties that we needed badly. We got 16 railroad ties. Nice solid stout ones. We lifted, carried and loaded into my truck all by hand. Did I mention I'm 52 and female? Owie.

Jason said...

Anonymous;

Ouch ! Hope you get to feeling better soon, too !

I wish I could blame heavy work or something else heroic and masculine, but unfortunately I did the damage while I was sleeping. :(

I'll leave you all with this thought.

It's a bad day when you can't rise from the bed unaided at all, and it becomes immeasurably worse when you *HAVE* to pee.

Sylvia said...

Oy! I hope you feel completely better, soon!!!